- Dress in sober colours, black pants and a white top are generally recommended.
- Do not wear clothes with publicity or logos
- Be attentive to the judge and your animal
- Present your animals in a clean state.
- Do not use a blower or brush, as this is likely to damage the structure of the fiber
- Ensure your animals’ nails are short and neat
In the show ring:
- Lead your alpaca on his left side, keeping your hand at the height of his shoulder.
- Always keep your animal in show stance, even if the judge is at the other end of the show ring. He will be constantly observing all animals.
- Do not chat with other participants in the middle of the ring.
- If your alpaca is nervous try to calm him down.
- You will improve the presentation of your alpaca if the lead rein is held raised.
- You must change your handling position to the other side when the judge moves around your animal to allow him an unrestricted view.
- If you must correct the position of your alpaca, move him around in a clockwise direction.
- When a judge makes his decision, he will call to you and give you a position. Do not leave the ring at this point though as he can always change his mind and alter the placing of his winners.
- Be a good sport.
- Turn in a clockwise direction when in the ring
- When moving as a class, follow the animal in front leaving an alpacas length between you.
Experienced competitors of Alpaga Developpement will show you the ropes, if desired, in your first competition.